Samaritans Cymru Board Member
Samaritans is seeking to appoint a new member to the Samaritans Cymru Board (SCB).
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the work and direction of Samaritans in Wales and to advise the UK and RoI Board on matters affecting Wales. The Board is an important source of advice and guidance for the work of the Wales Office and brings together Samaritans volunteers and external experts.
We are currently looking for a Board Member who demonstrates the following:
- an understanding of the third sector
- an understanding of policy and the political environment in Wales
- an understanding of mental health and well-being
- an empathy with the vision and mission of Samaritans.
Our work in Wales
In Wales we work locally and nationally to raise awareness of our service and reach out into local communities to support people struggling to cope. We have 10 locations in Wales and as well as providing the Samaritans helpline services we are active in schools, hospitals, prisons and on rail stations.
Samaritans Cymru Board seek to use our expertise and experience to improve policy and practice nationally and locally. The causes of suicide are complex; reducing suicide means that all agencies must work effectively together. We are active contributors to the development and implementation of Wales Suicide and Self Harm Prevention Action Plan ‘Talk to Me 2’
The demand for our service is increasing - last year in Wales we took a call every 2 and a half minutes. None of this would be possible without the time and dedication of our over 650 volunteers. We need to keep evolving and finding new ways to reach out to people, continuing to be accessible to all who desperately need our support.
- This post is unremunerated and the term is initially for three years.
- Members of Samaritans Cymru Board must be willing to attend meetings 4-5 times a year, together with home-based activities such as reading of papers and preparation for meetings.
- Interviews will be held in Cardiff on Friday 21st September.
To apply, download the full job description and application form. Please send completed applications to Laura Frayne by email to email@example.com or by post to Samaritans Cymru, 2nd Floor, 33-35 Cathedral Road, Cardiff, CF11 9HB by Thursday 6th September 2018 at 12pm.