Deal: Developing Emotional Awareness and Listening
DEAL (Developing Emotional Awareness and Listening) is a free teaching resource aimed at students aged approximately 14 and over and inclusive of all abilities and learning styles. It has been developed by Samaritans in consultation with young people and schools across the UK and Republic of Ireland.
Sessions exploring how we all feel differently about things that happen in our lives with a focus on how to access support
Sessions focused on developing skills in being able to access and ask for support and help
All the film and audio clips that complement DEAL sessions are available to access here
DEAL is a free resource for teachers and other educational professionals designed to help develop resilience in young people. Lesson plans, activities, hand-outs, DEAL digital resources, teachers’ notes and staff training materials can all be accessed and downloaded at any time from Samaritans website.
DEAL (Developing Emotional Awareness and Listening) aims to:
- raise awareness of emotional health and the importance of recognising when you need help
- develop positive coping strategies
- reduce stigma and break down barriers around talking about emotional health.
- developing communication skills
- developing supportive and help-seeking behaviour in young people.
What is in the DEAL resources?
The DEAL resources contain session plans and activities that are divided into four themes:
- Emotional health
- Coping strategies
- Dealing with feelings
- Connecting with others (communication skills)
Find out more about how to use the DEAL teaching resources here
Free registration for DEAL
If you are new to DEAL, please sign up here to access the resources for free.