Samaritans has joined forces with the rail industry to launch an exciting employee volunteering challenge to provide a million hours in support of our work.
Over the next five years the rail industry is coming together to volunteer one million hours to help Samaritans achieve their vision that fewer people die by suicide. The Million Hour Challenge will help Samaritans be there for people who are struggling to cope and aims to improve mental health and wellbeing within the rail industry.
This builds on Samaritans existing rail industry suicide prevention programme.
We can build on the success of the partnership between the rail industry and the Samaritans further through the Million Hour Challenge which will encourage volunteering from across the whole sector. This will not only help the Samaritans as they seek to cope with increased demand for their vital services but will also be beneficial for the mental health of all of us in the sector who volunteer our time, not least by encouraging us to talk with each other, and the wider community, about the issues involved.
Ian Prosser (HM Chief Inspector of Railways, ORR)
How do I get involved?
How do I get involved?
If you work in the rail industry you are well placed to make an impact on the lives of others. There are a variety of ways to take part in the challenge, from attending a training day to holding an afternoon tea with your colleagues to raise awareness and reduce the stigma associated with mental health and illness within the rail industry, whilst improving your own mental health and wellbeing.
What counts towards the million?
Here are just some of the ways you can help us reach a million. To find out more, visit the Million Hour Challenge website.
- Completing the Wellbeing in the Workplace toolkit
- Completing the Suicide on the Railway toolkit
- Fundraising events
- Supporting a Samaritans branch
- Become a Listening Volunteer
- Attend the Managing Suicidal Contacts training day
- Sign up to the Million Hour Challenge by creating your profile here.
- We are keen for your organisation to be involved in the challenge. If you represent an organisation in the rail industry and you would like to find out how to integrate the Million Hour Challenge into your team or wider organisation please get in touch.
- Follow @samaritans on Twitter and support us by sharing our posts.
- Find out more about Samaritans' suicide prevention work on the rail network, including training opportunities and post-incident support here or contact us for more information.