John Williams House
4b High Street
Reigate RH2 9AY
How we can help
As a branch, our goal is to run 365 by 24 hours telephone support for our callers.
We have a team of volunteers who go in to local senior schools and give a presentation on emotional health. We currently see students between years 9-11 in Reigate school, Reigate Grammar, St Bede's and The Warwick. We hope the presentation will help the students to be more aware of when they may need to seek help and how to get support when they are experiencing difficult times.
Our team of approx. 15 volunteers provide support at High Down. Twice a year we train a group of prisoners to become Listeners, who then form a rota and are available 24 hours a day to support fellow prisoners. Every Saturday morning, some of the team meet with current Listeners so that they can talk about any prisoners of concern, personal concerns and provide further relevant training when necessary. There may be additional visits if prison staff have asked us to see prisoners of concern.
- Accessible toilets
- Wheelchair accessible
- Narrow cobbled alleyway leading to branch has to be negotiated first.
Partner with East Surrey Samaritans!
Samaritans operates 201 branches across the UK, with over 20,000 volunteers taking calls, responding to emails and Instant Messaging around the clock, from callers who are facing difficulties in their lives, many of whom are suicidal.
Your local branch, East Surrey, has been based in Reigate town centre; part of the local community since 1964. Our 90+ trained volunteers play an active part in supporting this effort, both nationally and locally, as well as getting involved with local events, like Run Reigate.
We know, only too well, that misfortune can strike anyone at any age from right across society. That’s why we place great emphasis on maintaining relationships with as many local retail, businesses, council services, NHS, schools and colleges as possible. We also have strong links with the local prison service at High Down Prison.
Whilst we are always grateful for funding to maintain this service, it costs over £50,000 per year to keep our centre running, this is not just a one-way street. Our training, listening skills and our course resources are available to help others deal with challenging encounters, in their personal and professional lives, from customers and colleagues who are experiencing difficulties. If you would like to help us with a one-off or a monthly donation, you can do it here.
Our outreach and fundraising teams will partner with you at any level that is right for you and your organisation. We can work with you to:
- Set up a team challenge or hold an event - we can promote joint fundraising activities that complement your existing CSR responsibilities (Online or face to face)
- Develop wellbeing awareness activities with your teams, including outreach support to your employees
- Arrange “Listen like a Samaritan” training – our bespoke training introduces listening skills that anyone can use. This can help colleagues or customers who might be experiencing emotional distress or who may be struggling with suicidal thoughts themselves
- Help us to fundraise on your premises using our ‘Tap to Donate’ technology and other initiatives
- Donate to our branch
- Set up regular gift donations.
- Join us by becoming a Samaritans volunteer yourself!
We are passionate about what we do, because we know that listening to people in distress can be life-changing for our callers. There are hundreds of ways you can help us and them, and there may be ways we can help you too!
Please get in touch with us to find out more.
Email: [email protected]
Follow us on Twitter: @EastSurreySams