You can view our previous news stories below
Small Talk Saves Lives 2023
Read on for more information about this year's important event, taking place at Manchester Piccadilly Railway Station. Small Talk Saves Lives 2023 | Samaritans
Brew Monday Event at Manchester Victoria Station - Monday 16th January 2023
We will be showing a presence at Manchester Victoria Station in order to spread the word about the importance of speaking with friends, family and colleagues on a regular basis Brew Monday Monday 16th January Victoria Train Station Event
Mental Health Awareness Week : 9 - 15 May 2022
Mental Health Awareness Week is taking place between the 9th and 15th May. The focus this year is on 'loneliness' - we have useful materials and ideas within the links here, as well as information on how you can help to shape future Government policy on mental health issues. Mental Health Awareness Week : 9 - 15 May 2022
NHS & social care wellbeing support line extension
Our NHS & social care wellbeing support line is available seven days a week and is open to all NHS and social care staff in England and Wales. Please continue to publicise this vital service. NHS & social care wellbeing support line extension
Join us on Wednesday 20 April for Thanking Day 2022!
Volunteers assist in saving lives and provide moral and financial support to improve the lives of millions of people.
Samaritans rightly mark this event with our own special Thanking Day. Join us on Wednesday 20 April for Thanking Day 2022
Time to Talk Day on 3rd February
Today 3rd Feb is Time to Talk day - if you are concerned about someone's mental health - however you do it, start a conversation. What to do if you think someone is struggling - talking can help - find out more here
"Celebrate the Eight” – celebrating an incredible 300 years of Samaritans volunteering
All our branch volunteers are special, but eight are particularly special because they have amassed an amazing 300 years of Samaritans service between them. Find out more here
Samaritans BrewMonday 2022
This Brew Monday, 17 January, Manchester & Salford Samaritans are reminding everyone to reach out for a cuppa and a catch-up with the people you care about.
Find out more about our Brew Monday here
Samaritans Christmas heroes in Manchester
Our volunteers were here all through Charitmas Day for our callers, as well as every day through the year.
Manchester & Salford Samaritans Christmas Campaign
Be a Samaritans Christmas Star and help people struggling to cope. By making a donation or fundraising for Samaritans this Christmas, you can help more people find a glimmer of light on their darkest days
Manchester & Salford Samaritans and Greater Manchester supports National Grief Awareness Week
National Grief Awareness Week is run by the Good Grief Trust and takes place from the 2-8th December 2021. Find out more by clicking here
Support Volunteer Vacancy – Manchester Samaritans are looking for a Handy-Person
We are currently seeking a support volunteer to fill the role of Handy-Person to help our branch with general maintenance tasks for 3-4 hours each week. Branch location is at 72-74 Oxford Street, Manchester M1 5NH. Click here for more.
Older Manchester & Salford Branch news
- Celebration of 30 years of the Listener Scheme. Click here for more.
- We spent the day at Manchester Piccadilly train station for World Suicide Prevention Day to raise awareness of the event.
- "Talk to Us" event team at Victoria station, Manchester Sat 24 July 2021. Click here for more.
- A big thank you from Martine and Lesley, branch Co-Directors to all our volunteers for keeping the branch open for our callers during all lockdowns
- Thank you to the Community Health Partnerships for donating hand sanitisers, to Mo Marzouk from "I Saw It First" for donating hand sanitisers, masks and gloves, and to John Addison and Dave Phillips at Euro Car Parks for providing car parking for volunteers
- Branch volunteer Mandy was featured in November 2021's Good Housekeeping magazine after being nominated for her outstanding help always shown to others
- A huge thank you and well done to volunteers Katy, Jenny F, Jenny M, Charlotte, Shazia, Christine, Marielle, Ahmed and Gordon, who completed the Samarathon in July 2021 and raised over £2000 towards branch refurbishment