In this lesson we will learn:
to improve our listening skills
to understand the elements of effective active listening
to use effective listening skills
1. Show and explain the elements of the Listening Wheel using the slides.
a) Open questions – invite students to give examples of open questions
b) Summarising – listen to the audio clip as an example and discuss
c) Reflecting – look at the example then ask students to give examples
d) Clarifying – ask students for examples
e) Short words of encouragement – ask students for examples
f) Reacting – read the given statement and ask for examples of a reaction.
2. Listen to audio clip 1: ask students what they noticed? Repeat with clip 2. What was different? Would the two people have felt any differently in this situation? Repeat with clip 3 and ask students if they identified any aspects of the Listening Wheel. How would the person have felt in this situation? What helped them to talk? Feed back and share.
3. Group students into threes and hand one scenario to each group. One person will be the listener, one the talker and one the observer. Using the Listening Wheel ask students to note which parts of the wheel are being used during the role play. Allow five minutes for the role play.
4. Feed back from groups: what elements of the Listening Wheel did anyone notice? How did it feel for the listener, what was easy or difficult? How did it feel for the person talking – what helped most?
5. Chinese whispers: whisper five different phrases around the class at the same time, until you say stop. See how they turn out!
These are the skills that Samaritans use when they are supporting people who call them. How do you think this helps?
- What could I do to improve how I listen to others?
- How would this benefit me?
Really listening to people makes them feel valued and understood. Being able to listen well to others helps you to be someone who others can turn to.
Links and Learning Journeys
It is also part of 2 suggested learning journeys:
Make sure young people know what support is available and how to access this support.