Welcome to Samaritans of Portsmouth and East Hampshire.
Like all Samaritans branches we are here to support anyone who is distressed or suicidal. Each year our volunteers answer more than 30,000 calls.
Our volunteers come from a wide range of backgrounds and walks of life. Some of the younger ones fit volunteering round student life. Some of the senior volunteers have 40 years or more experience. Anyone who is over 18, wants to help others, and is tolerant and open-minded is welcome to join us. There is more information here.
Samaritans of Portsmouth and East Hampshire is affiliated to the National Samaritans organisation however we are a Charity in our own right. As such we must raise all funds needed to maintain our Centre and to support our many outreach activities.
If you are able to help us you will find more information here.
Sam’s Place in Southsea
Sam’s Place is a unique charity shop and community hub in Southsea. They raise funds for us, and also work to reduce isolation and loneliness in the community. Please do visit them, or donate to them. They are at 6 Grove Road South, PO5 3QT, close to St Jude's Church.
We would like to thank Big Yellow Self Storage in Portsmouth for providing free storage space for the shop stock.
As well as their work in the branch our volunteers are active in our local community. Our outreach includes:
- Visiting schools, to introduce the children to Samaritans, and help them support the emotional health of themselves and their friends
- Visiting all our local railway stations, especially after an incident, to raise awareness of the support we offer
- Maintaining contact with hospitals and GP surgeries, helping them to understand when to refer people to us
- Veterans Outreach, letting veterans know we are there for them when they need us
- We assist in the training and support of Listeners within prisons
- We reach out to high risk groups and communities to reduce the risk of suicide.
Please do follow us on Twitter : @PortsmouthSama1
Please do get in touch
If you have any questions about Portsmouth and East Hampshire Samaritans please do contact us by emailing [email protected].
Our privacy statement
At Samaritans, privacy is at the heart of what we do. We are committed to protecting your privacy and the personal information that we hold. Read our privacy statement here.