116 123 free from any phone
69 Woodbridge Road
Guildford GU1 4RD
How we can help
Listening in Guildford since 1963
Our branch in Guildford is one of the oldest in the country; we took our first call at 9.42am on Monday 22nd July 1963 and have been providing emotional support to people in Guildford, Woking and Waverley, and across the country, ever since. We received the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service in 2013, 50 years after we opened.
We are also one of the largest branches with more than 150 active listening volunteers. We do a variety of work in our local community, including:
- Visiting local schools to talk to pupils and staff about emotional health
- Supporting students at the University of Surrey
- Supporting prisoners in HMP Coldingley and HMP Send through the Listeners Scheme
- Regular outreach events at local stations to help reduce suicide on the railways
Visit our branch
Our branch at 69 Woodbridge Road is close to the centre of Guildford and open to visitors every day between 12 and 9pm. You don’t need to make an appointment, and you will be able to speak to one of our volunteers in a private, safe, and non-threatening environment.
Volunteer at our branch
We always welcome new volunteers so if you're interested in becoming a Samaritan we would love to hear from you. Typically, the first step is for you to attend one of our information sessions at our branch in Guildford where you will be able to find out more about us and explore whether Samaritans is right for you.
Our next sessions are:
- Sunday 3rd November 2019, 10.30am-12.30pm - NOW FULL
- Sunday 1 December 2019, 10.30am -12.30pm
- Sunday 5 January 2020, 10.30am - 12.30pm
- Sunday 2 Febraury 2020, 10.30am - 12.30pm
- Sunday 1 March 2020, 10.30am - 12.30pm
If you decide you would like to volunteer with us, please do stay on for an afternoon session between 1.30pm and 3.30pm on the same day where we will explain more about how to become a Samaritan.
To register for one of these sessions, please contact us in any of the following ways: