16 Wood Street
Taunton TA1 1UN
How we can help
Suspended - Normally 9am - 9pm every day
We supports schools, college communities and other youth settings through our postvention services, lesson plans and school talks.
- Accessible toilets
- Wheelchair accessible
- Access to first floor via a stair lift.
Welcome to Samaritans of Taunton & Somerset
We were founded in 1968, was originally based in Bridgwater and moved to its current site at 16, Wood Street, Taunton TA1 1UN in 1972. The branch is ideally located, close to a car park, the bus station and is easily walkable from the centre of town.
What areas do we cover?
Our activities cover much of Exmoor, the Quantocks and the Blackdown Hills and all the major towns in West and South Somerset. We have nearly 100 volunteers, who provide an incredibly valuable service, each year dealing with around 40,000 calls, face to face meetings, emails and text messages. Many of our volunteers live in and around Taunton but some travel from the surrounding areas of Wellington, Minehead, Bridgwater, Tiverton, Ilminster and many of the outlying villages.
How many Contacts to we make?
We average around 100 contacts with callers per day, mainly on the telephone, every day of the year - a great achievement. This volume of contacts is one of the highest of all the branches in the UK, reflecting the dedication and hard work put in by our volunteers.
Our Outreach programme
We are passionate about the support we give to our community. Our volunteers also offer emotional support every week to people visiting Taunton Food bank and at Open Door, the daytime refuge for the homeless and rough sleepers.
In addition to listening to our callers, our speakers give presentations to:
- Doctors’ surgeries
- Local companies
..and many other organisations.
If you would like a speaker to visit your organisation as part of our extensive Outreach programme please contact us HERE
Some facts about us:
- We are currently recruiting more volunteers. If you are interested in helping Samaritans, either as a Listening Volunteer or as one of our hugely important Support Volunteers, click on the link below for more information.
- Each year, the branch is expected to raise all their own funds. The Taunton volunteers are grateful for the hugely important fundraising activities that help them continue to provide the excellent service they give. Fundraising is, therefore, an important element of our work and, together with our Outreach work, it helps to increase the visibility of the branch and the service we provide.
- It costs over £100 per day to run Samaritans of Taunton and Somerset and one simple way to raise money is to do your online shopping via EasyFundraising - a portal that provides access to all major retailers, who will donate a percentage of your spend without it costing you a penny.
- Alternatively, you can text TAUNTON to 70085 which will automatically donate £5 which will help our branch continue to operate, train more volunteers and continue to reach those who are struggling to cope.
For up to date news - please follow us on Twitter @SamaritansTau
To request information - please email [email protected]
If you are interested in becoming a Listening Volunteer or a Support Volunteer - please email [email protected]
Our privacy statement
At Samaritans, privacy is at the heart of what we do. We are committed to protecting your privacy and the personal information that we hold. Read our privacy statement here.