"Every six seconds, somebody contacts us.
"Ten times a minute, we can help someone turn their life around.
"That’s a privilege, and a huge responsibility."
Stephen Hoddell (pictured right) is Chair of Samaritans.
We're celebrating our 60th anniversary in November.
Since 1953, we've been helping anyone with nowhere else to turn.
Samaritans is committed to carrying out high quality research. Find out about our research projects.
Our Annual Report, Impact Report, and more.
- People contact us when things are getting to them.
- We’re here for them round the clock, every single day of the year.
- We provide everyone a safe place to talk, whoever they are, however they feel, whatever life’s done to them.
- As volunteers, we’re ordinary people, and keep all our conversations private.
- We receive almost no Government funding – as a charity, it’s the public’s kind donations that keep our helpline open.
- Every 6 seconds, someone makes contact with Samaritans.
- Every 10 seconds, Samaritans receives a contact in which someone feels able to speak or write about their feelings.
- Every 52 seconds, Samaritans receives a contact from someone who has suicidal feelings.
- 87% of people who responded to an online survey would recommend us to other people.