Privacy and cookies
Privacy Statement for use of this website
At Samaritans we are committed to protecting your privacy. This statement is made in the light of the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 in order to alert valued contacts to Samaritans data processing practices which will govern the processing of your data.
If you have any queries about this statement please contact the Data Protection Office at the Facilities, Compliance and Administration Department, Samaritans, The Upper Mill, Kingston Road, Ewell, Surrey, KT17 2AF.
How do we collect information?
We will obtain personal information from you when you enquire about our activities, register with us, send or receive an e-postcard, make a donation to us or otherwise provide us with personal information. We may also receive information about you from third parties, for example from a friend who wants to tell you about the website.
What information do we collect?
The types of information collected might include names, date of birth, e-mail address, postal address, telephone number, fax number and credit/debit card details.
How do we use this information?
We will use your personal information to provide you with the services, products or information you have requested, for administration purposes and to further our charitable aims, including for fundraising activities. We may need to share your information with our service providers, associated organisations and agents for these purposes.
We may share your information with other organisations who are supportive of our aims and objectives. We only use your personal information for direct marketing purposes if we are allowed to do this by law or if we have your consent. You can change your mind at any time by contacting email@example.com
How do we protect personal information?
We use a secure server when you make a donation via our website. We also take appropriate measures to ensure that the information disclosed to us is kept secure, accurate and up to date and kept only for so long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is used.
Will we disclose the information we collect to outside parties?
As indicated above, we may pass your information to our service providers, agents and associated organisations, and, if you have consented, to other organisations who may share our objectives.
We may also need to disclose your information if required to do so by law.
By providing us with your personal data, including sensitive personal data such as on your health, you consent to the collection and use of any information you provide in accordance with the above purposes and this privacy statement.
You also consent to our transferring your information to countries or jurisdictions which do not provide the same level of data protection as the UK, if necessary for the above purposes. If we do make such a transfer, we will, if appropriate, put a contract in place to ensure your information is protected.
Right of access
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you (for which we may charge a small fee) and to have any inaccuracies in your information corrected.
If your personal details change, please help us to keep your information up to date by notifying us at the above address.
We reserve the right to amend this privacy statement. If we do so, we will post notice of the change on our website and you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.
Do we use 'Cookies' ?
Our cookies help us:
- Make our website work as you'd expect
- Improve the speed/security of the site
- Allow you to share pages with social networks like Facebook
- Continuously improve our website for you
- Make our services more efficient
- Save you having to login every time you visit the site
- Collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission)
- Collect any sensitive information (without your express permission)
- Pass data to advertising networks
- Pass personally identifiable data to third parties
- Pay sales commissions
Our own cookies
Samaritans.org uses a number of different cookies:
- SERVERID – used for load balancing, to ensure we deliver the website as quickly as possible
Neither cookie remembers any personal information like name, or email address.
These cookies is deleted as soon as you close your browser window
Third party cookies
Google Analytics cookies
These cookies help tell Samaritans how many people have been to the site before, what time people visited the site and what pages were looked at. No personal information is stored.
- _utma stores each user’s number of visits, time of the first visit, the previous visit and the current visit. Expires two years after your last visit to the site
- utmb and _utmc checks how long a visitor stays on the site: when a visit starts and ends. These expire 30 minutes after your visit, or after 30 minutes of inactivity, or when you close your browser.
- utmz tracks where a visitor came from (search engine, search keyword, link). Expires six months after it was last set
Cookies when sharing content
So you can easily “Like”, “Tweet” or share our content on the likes of Facebook and Twitter, we have included sharing buttons on our site.
Cookies are set by Add This, Facebook and Twitter.
Add This provides the sharing mechanism to Facebook and Twitter. Their cookies are:
- ssc – record the network you are sharing to
- ssh and sshs – optimise the appearance of the sharing settings
- uid – tracks your login to the service. Expires in 2 years
You can opt out of Add This cookies here:
Tweeting a page link automatically creates two cookies on your machine:
- guest_id - This cookie is used to identify you to twitter. This cookie will expire in two years’ after creation.
- Twitter_sess - This cookie remembers changes from page to page
Facebook sets a number of cookies when you log into its website. For more information, see:
Cookie when making donations
Sagepay cookies allow our online payment processing facility to know how much you wish to donate, so it can charge your credit/debit card appropriately:
- JSESSIONID - assigns you a unique ID so it can differentiate you from other users
- NSC_wjq-tbhfqbz-dpn - This cookie is used to store the session identifier of your SagePay Session.
No personal information or card information is recorded in the cookies, and the transaction takes place on secure web pages. These cookies are deleted when you close your browser.
- __cfduid - This Globalsign cookie is a mechanism to protect from malicious traffic. No identity or personally identifiable information is associated with this cookie.
- Session cookie – this cookie from Samaritans makes sure your browser remembers your details if you need to go back and change anything. This cookie is deleted when you finish the donation.
If you choose to donate to Samaritans using PayPal, a number of cookies are placed on your machine to allow the transaction to go ahead. These are managed by PayPal.
If you want to prevent our cookies being stored on your computer in future, you may do so by referring to your internet browser's instructions. You can do this by clicking on the "Help" menu.
You can find out how to do this on your computer here
If you wish to prevent Google from collecting any information about your presence on our website, they offer a tool here: