Relationships top poll for Feel Good Factor at work
Getting on well with the people you work with is the most fulfilling part of a job, according to a survey published by Samaritans and Simplyhealth today. When asked to select their top two factors, 42% of workers felt that positive relationships helped them to feel good at work, compared with a mere 14% for hitting their targets.
The poll of more than 1,400 workers found having a good work / life balance was the second (40%) most common reason for feeling good at work followed by receiving praise (26%) and earning the trust (16%) of their boss.
The release of the survey coincides with Feel Good Friday (1 February), Samaritans’ annual fundraising day. Sponsored by healthcare provider Simplyhealth for the second consecutive year, the day aims to get companies to take part in ‘feel good’ themed fundraisers, in return for a donation to Samaritans, the helpline charity for people struggling to cope.
Other key findings from the survey show:
- Having a good work / life balance makes more men (41%) feel good at work than women (38%)
- The least popular option for making people feel good at work was team activities including away days (4%)
- There is a significant difference in the value of having a good work / life balance depending on age: 35-44 year olds (47%) compared with those aged 18-24 (32%)
Rachel Kirby Rider, Samaritans’ Director for Fundraising and Communications said:
“Samaritans understands how interacting with people is really important and so it is interesting to see that having positive relationships tops the poll of making people feel good at work. Our survey results demonstrate how looking out for each other’s wellbeing and having a good work / life balance is essential.
“Feel Good Friday is the perfect opportunity to take a little time out to have fun with your colleagues whilst raising vital funds to help Samaritans answer more calls from people going through a tough time”.
Mark Day, spokesperson for Simplyhealth comments: “Positive working relationships and feeling good whilst at work are really important when looking at overall employee health and wellbeing. Organisations with healthy, happy employees can find they see improvements in productivity and results.
“This is the second year that we have been involved in Feel Good Friday. The day is all about doing something fun and that makes you feel good. This year comedy is the main focus and we hope that every one gets involved by organising their own event, to help to raise money for a great cause. Why not start by guessing the celebratory giggle on the Feel Good Friday website.”
Find out more about Feel Good Friday by visiting http://www.feelgoodfriday.org
For a further breakdown of results of the Samaritans and Simplyhealth survey please click here: http://www.feelgoodfriday.org/downloads/FGF_YouGov.xls
For more information and interview request, please contact Claire Duncan in Samaritans’ press office: on 020 8394 8345 or email email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2162 adults, of whom 1,480 are currently in employment. Fieldwork was undertaken between 28th and 30th November 2012. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all UK adults in employment (aged 18+).
- Samaritans’ vision is that fewer people die by suicide. People contact Samaritans when they are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to. More than 20,000 Samaritans’ volunteers are available round the clock, every day of the year. The helpline provides a safe place to talk and all conversations are private.
- To contact Samaritans call 08457 90 90 90, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.samaritans.org to find your nearest branch.
- We became Simplyhealth in 2009 after bringing together HSA, BCWA, LHF, HealthSure, Totally Active, our family of health companies have joined together over the last ten years to form Simplyhealth
- In December 2011, we acquired Denplan Limited, the UK's leading dental payment plan specialist
- We’ve been providing healthcare solutions for 140 years, dedicated to serving our customers and patients through a variety of cash plans, dental plans, private medical insurance, self funded health plans and mobility and living aids
- Simplyhealth is a trading name of Simplyhealth Access, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
- Simplyhealth as it stands today, now covers nearly four million people with health plans (more than any other company) and helps 20,000 companies with their employees’ health
- Simplyhealth is committed to making a positive impact on its communities. Each year, we donate over £1 million to health related charities and causes