The partnership involves the roll-out programme of suicide prevention and post-incident support activities, with the support of Network Rail, Train Operators and the British Transport Police, all of which have been making a positive impact.
- Formation of a National Suicide Prevention Group
- Two bespoke railway industry staff training courses developed and delivered – Managing Suicidal Contacts and Trauma Support Training
- A two-phase nationwide public awareness campaign. Phase two is live from September 2012
- Post-incident support to station staff provided by local Samaritans branches
- A Samaritans call-out service to people in distress at railway locations
- A programme to encourage responsible media reporting of suicides
- An outreach programme which involves developing links with local community and mental health services, to promote referrals to Samaritans
Mark, Network Rail manager and volunteer, discusses the impact on station staff and the role of Samaritans:
Successes so far
Samaritans branches have been working closely with priority rail locations across the UK, which have been selected due to the number of incidents that have occurred at them, along with the potential disruption that an incident may cause at that particular location.
There have been a notable number of partnership successes to date:
- Four charity business awards won over 2 years and Steve Tollerton awarded Trainer of the Year at the Rail Staff Awards 2012
- More than 550 courses delivered to over 6,000 railway industry staff in the first 4 years
- Dozens of potentially life saving interventions carried out at railway locations by rail staff trained on the Managing Suicidal Contacts course
- Over 50 reported suicide interventions carried out at railway locations by rail staff trained on the Managing Suicidal Contacts course
- An average training course satisfaction rating of 4.8 out of 5.
If you might be interested in partnering with Samaritans in a similar scheme, contact the Network Rail team on 020 8394 8300 or email email@example.com.