The Million Hour Challenge will allow Samaritans to make an even bigger impact in suicide prevention, as well as bring the benefits of volunteering to many more people, in new and imaginative ways. People who volunteer through work are happier, healthier and likely to be more engaged with their employer - coming to work has even more purpose. We’re delighted to be working with trusted partners to innovate through this ground-breaking initiative in corporate volunteering.
Ruth Sutherland (CEO, Samaritans)
We are grateful to the following organisations for their support in establishing the challenge:
- MTR Crossrail
- Network Rail
- Office of Rail and Road
- Rail Delivery Group
- Rail Safety and Standards Board
Million Hour Challenge – our rollout plan
The Million Hour Challenge is being rolled out across the rail industry in phases, with five Partners in each group. This allows us to provide relationship management support to each organisation and ensure a sustainable increase in resource to Samaritans over the five years of the challenge.
We have a dedicated Project Lead who will help each organisation with the rollout including:
- Getting to know your organisation to find out what you want to achieve through the challenge and learning about your employees, what they do and where they work
- Helping you to build a small team with the key staff in your organisation to successfully plan and integrate the challenge into your health and wellbeing activities and your everyday work
- Setting your own Million Hour Challenge targets – after you launch you will receive a performance scorecard each month, to track progress and engage your employees
Then the relationship management begins.
- Help you create a delivery communications plan which is tailored to suit the needs of your staff
- Share our communications collateral
- Agree an approach to promoting the online learning tools e.g. team meetings, training sessions
- Agree your launch date
- Share learning and ideas from other Partners
- Keep in touch to help you and tell you about new Samaritans campaigns and activity
We have a dedicated Million Hour Challenge website for staff to log their hours and read stories from across the country. We create a bi-monthly newsletter for you to share with your staff and if there is something interesting in the meantime we’ll let your internal communications team know.
To find out more about joining the Million Hour Challenge contact [email protected]
Follow @samaritans on Twitter and support us by sharing our posts.