The impact of the fund
More than 80,000 people donated on Claire’s JustGiving page alone – the total donated was over £1 million, which was put into The Claire Squires Fund.
Samaritans wanted this to be used in a special way, as a lasting tribute to Claire, so it was put towards a range of projects. In her name we have been able to:
- Support those bereaved by suicide
- Develop our online support services
- Support the local Banbury branch of Samaritans
- Develop a Phone Free Friday fundraising event
- Set up the Claire Squires Award for volunteers with 24 years’ service
- Contribute to a Digital Fund, to make Samaritans’ services more accessible to a larger number of people via digital technology
In 2014 Claire’s family also set up their own local charity, The Squires Effect.