Lauren Goodger switches off for Samaritans
Lauren Goodger, (The Only Way is Essex) launched Samaritans’ new fundraising day, today, Monday 16 June. The charity’s first ever Phone Free Friday fundraiser takes place on 20 June.
Selfie-obsessed Lauren leant her support to the charity at an event at London Waterloo where she spoke to commuters about Samaritans, encouraging them to sign up to take part in the fundraising day.
A self-confessed phoneaholic, Lauren relies on her phone for everything – from social media and booking work, to online shopping and taking photos. Switching it off for Phone Free Friday will be a real test, but she is determined to do it for Samaritans.
Lauren Goodger said:
“We’ve all had our shares of ups and downs and Samaritans offers people a place to turn when things get too much. I hope everyone up and down the country will take part in Phone Free Friday. It will be a tough challenge to go without my phone for a whole day, but one that really will make a live saving difference.”
Supported by healthcare provider Simplyhealth, Phone Free Friday puts people to the ultimate test, by laying down the gauntlet to go without their phones from 9am-5pm on 20 June. Participants who can’t last the whole day without their phones will face penalties. The day asks people to make a donation of £4 to Samaritans, the cost of answering one call for help.
People who can’t face the thought of a day without their phone can still get involved by texting ‘DONATE’ to 70123* to make a £4 donation.
Catherine Johnstone, Samaritans CEO, said:
“I would like to thank Lauren for supporting Phone Free Friday, she has really helped raise awareness of Phone Free Friday and Samaritans’ service. Our volunteers answer more than 5 million calls for help every year, and we need to make sure we continue to be there for anyone struggling to cope. We are asking our supporters to turn off their phones for one day so we can answer more calls. I’m urging everyone to get on board, take part in the day, and help us continue to deliver our life-saving service.”
For more information or to arrange an interview with Lauren Goodger, please contact the Press Team on 020 8394 8348/ firstname.lastname@example.org.
– ENDS –
Notes to editors:
Samaritans is available round the clock, every single day of the year. We provide a safe place for anyone struggling to cope, whoever they are, however they feel, whatever life has done to them. Please call 116 123, email email@example.com, or visit www.samaritans.org to find details of the nearest branch.
Terms and conditions of making a donation to 70123
Texts cost £4, plus one message at your standard network rate. Samaritans will receive a minimum of 99% of your donation. We may contact you in the future. If you’d prefer not to hear from us, text NOCALL SAM to 70060. If you wish to discuss this mobile payment, call 0844 241 2263. UK registered charity number 219432.
- We became Simplyhealth in 2009 after bringing together HSA, BCWA, LHF, HealthSure, Totally Active, our family of health companies have joined together over the last ten years to form Simplyhealth
- In December 2011, we acquired Denplan Limited, the UK's leading dental payment plan specialist
- We’ve been providing healthcare solutions for over 140 years, dedicated to serving our customers and patients through a variety of cash plans, dental plans, private medical insurance, self funded health plans and mobility and living aids
- Simplyhealth is a trading name of Simplyhealth Access, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
- Simplyhealth as it stands today, now covers nearly four million people with health plans (more than any other company) and helps 20,000 companies with their employees’ health
- Simplyhealth is committed to making a positive impact on its communities. Each year, we donate over £1 million to health related charities and causes
For further information about Simplyhealth:
Lynsey Thorp, Public Relations Manager 0844 579 2266