Brighton marathon runners limber up for big run to raise cash for Samaritans
The countdown is on for 27 brave and dedicated runners who, in just a month [Sunday 15 April 2018] will be taking on the Brighton Marathon. Thanks to their dedication to training and fundraising they’ll be helping Samaritans continue to be there round the clock, every single day of the year to support people who are struggling to cope.
Amongst the runners taking to the Sussex streets is Liam Doughty (24), an aircraft engineer with the Royal Navy based near Yeovil in Somerset. He’s running his first marathon and has very personal reasons for taking part. Liam said: “Samaritans is a service I’ve used when I’ve been at my lowest point. I’m not the only one – suicide continues to be the biggest killer of men under 50. Samaritans listens to people, often these are people profoundly lonely but Samaritans are always there.”
Triple marathon runner, Vinny Gould (40) from Rugby, will be running his second race over three consecutive weekends for Samaritans. Vinny’s epic challenge is in memory of two friends he lost to suicide. Vinny said: “I know it’s going to be tough but I really wanted to do something different. I figured if I train hard for one, then I can complete three, with six whole day’s recovery in between the races, well that's the theory.
“In the past five years, I have sadly lost two friends to suicide and know others that have also taken their own lives. It was only on my way back from my friend's funeral in January that I appreciated the resonance of what I was taking on for Samaritans, and how fitting a tribute it would be to my lost friends."
Also amongst the intrepid athletes taking on the 26.2 mile challenge is the charity’s veteran fundraiser, Dave ‘the running phone’ Lock, who will be donning his weighty giant green telephone outfit including his full lycra suit. Brighton will be Dave’s 49th marathon and act as a ‘warm up’ for his 2018 goal of completing his 50th marathon when he runs London just a week later.
Rosie Peploe, Samaritans Events Fundraiser said: “We wish all our runners the best of luck in going the extra mile to raise funds for us at the Brighton Marathon. It’s a massive commitment taking on the marathon and we applaud all the 27 runners supporting us.
“The money raised by the Brighton Marathon will help us in our race to provide around the clock support for those in need. We are extremely grateful to Liam, Dave and Vinny and wish them all the best on the day.”
To donate to Liam visit: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/liambrighton
To donate to Dave visit: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/david-lock-20
To donate to Vinny visit: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/vinnygould
For more information and interview requests, please contact Samaritans on 020 8394 8300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Liam Doughty from Yeovil running for Samaritans
- Vinny Gould from Rugby running for Samaritans
- Dave Lock from Essex running for Samaritans
Notes to editors
- Anyone can contact Samaritans any time for free from any phone on 116 123. This number is free to call and will not show up on your phone bill. Or email email@example.com or go to www.samaritans.org to find details of your local branch where you can talk to one of our trained volunteers face to face.
- Samaritans is a charity and it’s the public’s kind donations and more than 20,000 trained volunteers that mean we are always there for anyone struggling to cope. Your money or your time could save a life. Find out how you can support us: http://www.samaritans.org/support-us