The power of personal testimony
Each year, the UK and ROI loses more than 6000 people to suicide.
We know our service works but there are still barriers to people asking for help, before things reach crisis point.
Your story can help us demonstrate the value of talking to Samaritans through personal testimony; a very powerful way of encouraging others to ask for help.
Why we want to hear your story
Sharing the experience of those who have found help through contacting Samaritans helps us highlight the benefits of our service through the voices of those who matter most: our callers.
I was happy to tell my story so that others might be encouraged to pick up the phone and call Samaritans. I did and it changed my life.
By doing this we can encourage more people to reach out because we know the difference it can make.
Hear from Samaritans volunteer, Laura Rutherford, who was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 about being a listening volunteer.
How will my story be used?
There are many ways in which we can share your story:
- Samaritans’ website – this enables us to demonstrate our vital service to our online community and those seeking information about how we can help
- Samaritans’ fundraising materials – sharing your story will help us to show the true value of our helpline and why we need to raise vital funds to continue this frontline service
- Print – Local and National newspapers and magazines give us the opportunity to raise awareness of our service and the issues facing our callers and the value of talking
- TV and radio interview – TV is a powerful way of raising awareness of our service and reaching out to people who need us
We’ll support you every step of the way
You can choose the way in which we share your story and we will support you along the way. Whether this is helping you to write about your experience for a fundraising leaflet, or working with you to prepare you for a radio interview. We will support you throughout to make sure you are fully comfortable with whatever activity you wish to take part in.
You choose how your story is used
- You can choose to remain anonymous, if you do not want to identify yourself
- You can choose the channels we use to share your story (print/web/TV/radio etc)
- We’ll always get in touch each time we would like to share your story
If you’d like to share your story or to find out more, please get in touch: email@example.com
- You must be over 18
- If you are still actively using Samaritans’ service, it may be better to wait until you’re feeling better before taking part