What Can I Do?
There are a number of ways you can support Leatherhead & Mid Surrey Samaritans, from listening to someone who needs you, to helping our with fundraising, publicity or social media.
Support Samaritans as a listening Volunteer
Listening volunteers listen to anyone that calls, texts, emails or visits a Samaritans branch who may be going through a difficult time or might be struggling to cope. You don’t need to have any experience to be a listening volunteer – just be patient, able to listen and to be open-minded. We will give you all of the training you need.
Volunteers also help to support Samaritans in many other ways and they are all vital in ensuring that the branch can run effectively to provide our services and ensure that people know about us. You can help in various ways including:
· Marketing, through PR or social media, by being responsible for your branch website or Twitter feed
· IT support – keeping branch technology up and running
· Fundraising is a key part of keeping our services running, so you could organise fundraising events to raise funds
· Creating partnerships with other local organisations. It is important that we keep letting people know we are here to help them, so you could help to get our message into the community through outreach events
· When we receive volunteer enquiries it’s important that volunteers are responded to quickly and feel valued. We have a role in branches to respond to volunteer enquires and communicate with new volunteers through their journey
· Branches need administrative support to ensure there are enough volunteers are on shift for us to provide our service
For more information on how to become a volunteer:
As you can see there are many ways to support Samaritans as a volunteer and there may be other ways you can help. Send us an email to find out more.