The majority of our volunteers at Havering perform the role of a listener.
This can take various forms:
- Answring the phone
- Replying to Email contacts
- Replying to SMS (text) messages
- Meeting visitors to our branch
At Havering we ask our volunteers to give just 3hrs a week on a rota that fits in with your availability.
There are two intakes a year and the frist step is to aplly online via the "Volunteer at This Branch" button on the side of this page and our Recruitment Officer will be intouch to answer any questions to help you decide if you wish to proceed.
You may be invited to an Information Evening to find out more and if you wish to proceed you then attend a Selection Evening.
Training comprises 10 evenings on a Monday and a period of one-to-one mentoring.
Our Volunteers come from all walks of life and backgrounds; the diversity of our volunteers is one of the strengths. We are unable to accept a serving Police Officer or Special Constable (conflict of interest) and we don't offer student type placements.
At the end of your probation you are welcome to get involved with other aspects of what we do such as:
- Outreach at colleges, railways station and the hospital (top photo)
- Join the Leadership Team to ensure the branch complies with national standards
- Help with other roles within the branch like Training or Fundraising (lower photo).
If you would like to find out more about have to get involved with Havering Samaritans then please get in touch.