Next Information Sessions:
The dates for our next information talks (which last approx 2 hours) are:-
Wednesday 21st November 2018 at 7.00 pm
Saturday 26th January 2019 at 10.00 am
Wednesday 27th February 2019 at 7.00 pm
Saturday 16th March 2019 at 10.00 am
Volunteering with Gloucester & District Samaritans
If you are interested in volunteering with Gloucester & District Samaritans, do get in touch so that we can invite you along to one of our Information Sessions. These are short, informal meetings and are usually held at our centre at 9 Park End Rd, Gloucester, GL1 5AT*.
We will show you a short video and tell you all about what we do. You will then have the opportunity to meet current Samaritans and to ask any questions you may have.
Volunteering Information Sessions
Use one of these methods to contact us and we will then be able to invite you along to our next session:
- e-mail us at
- leave a voice message at our recruitment line on
01452 417 918
- fill out this volunteering form
Read on now to find out more about the roles volunteers play in the running of Gloucester & District Samaritans.
What kind of people become Samaritans?
Samaritans are ordinary people from all walks of life who have chosen to devote part of their spare time to helping other people in distress. Often they simply want to 'put something back'. Most come with no previous training in listening or supporting those in distress; our volunteers receive training for this at our Samaritans centre in Gloucester. Our branch is totally locally funded and staffed entirely with volunteers.
You can volunteer with Gloucester and District Samaritans in 2 main ways.
This is our core service, offering non-judgmental emotional support to people suffering from feelings of distress or despair or having thoughts of suicide.
- Listening volunteers take calls - on the phone, by e-mail, or face-to-face. A listening volunteer on duty always has at least one other Samaritan on duty with them at our branch in Gloucester.
- If you’re a Night Owl, we’d love for you to join our team - Samaritans aim to be there at for everyone at all hours, so we’re always looking for volunteers to take on some night shifts alongside some day shifts.
Providing an excellent year round listening service takes a lot more than simply sitting down at a desk with a phone at your ear. If listening to callers is not for you and you are still keen to help, you may be glad to hear that the work of the branch relies on the vital contributions of other Samaritans working behind the scenes, who don't have direct contact with callers.
Here are some of the roles, without which our branch could not run:
- Administration – we have various teams who would be delighted to receive help from someone keen to manage paperwork, write letters and keep us in order!
- Building Maintenance – using your skill and enthusiasm to help keep our building safe and operational
- Delivering talks – we talk to groups and societies about who we are and what we do - could you help to do this?
- Fundraising Support – this can vary from events, writing fundraising bids to ‘tin rattling’ in town centres and supermarkets
- Housekeeping – our 3-story building needs TLC, you could be part of the team which keeps it safe and comfortable for all who use it
- Marketing and Publicity – helping to write press releases, advertising our events and raising the profile of what we do in and around the county
- IT Department - help with keeping our technology functioning smoothly and supporting our volunteers in using it
Many listening volunteers also take on another support role within the branch.
Do contact us if any of the roles above are of interest.
* The Information Sessions take place on the 2nd floor when held at our centre. If this will cause you access difficulties, do let us know and we will make arrangements to ensure you are accommodated.