We're here round the clock, every single day of the year.
We support anyone who needs us through 201 branches across the UK and Republic of Ireland.
We know our service can help people before it's too late.
Samaritans is a fulfilling and rewarding place to work. Find out what it's like to work for Samaritans.
Samaritans began in 1953 in London, founded by a vicar called Chad Varah. He wanted to do something specific to help people in distress who had no one to turn to.
More than 60 years' ago we became the world's first telephone support service
- Samaritans was founded in 1953 by Chad Varah
- We have 201 branches across the UK and Republic of Ireland.
- Every six seconds, Samaritans responds to a call for help.
- During 2017, more than 20,000 people volunteered their time for Samaritans. We also recruited and trained 4,000 new branch volunteers.
- Each year we reach more than half a million people through our work in local communities.